33 kV XLPE Cable Guide
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: What is XLPE Cable?
XLPE is an abbreviation of Cross-Linked Polyethylene Cable. The cable acts as power cable, hence the name XLPE Power Cable.
The reason why XLPE is known as poly is that it consists of a long chain of polymers.
Typically, plastics have a significant influence under heat and temperature, but the transformation in XLPE cables gives it unique characteristics.
The cross-linking of polymers increases the melting point, resistance towards temperature, and pressure.
The cross-linked polyethylene insulation makes it suitable to be in use in any voltage, low voltage LV, high voltage HV, or medium voltage MV.
The cable is unique in terms of its cross-linked technology, which makes XPLE insulated cable resistant to extreme temperatures, moisture and water, and harmful chemicals.
The XLPE cables can carry current or electrical power without the fear of loss due to electromagnetic induction.
Our company is famous for its insulated cables, 33kV XLPE cables.
Chapter 2: What are the Characteristics of XLPE Cables?
- The XLPE Insulated Cables are robust cables having a lightweight.
- The lightweight of XLPE Cables makes it convenient to carry, transport, install, and function.
- The XLPE Insulated Cables have the best resistant towards electromagnetic induction, and it makes no electricity loss possible.
- The XLPE cables make it ideal for use in high voltages- HV.
- The XLPE cables are flexible enough to cover a long distance.
- With the XLPE insulation, cables do not need further insulation for water resistance.
- The XLPE Insulation Cables provide incredible insulation towards heat and fire.
- The XLPE cables have a longer span of life because it has resistance towards the harmful effects of chemicals.
- The XLPE cables are environment-friendly because these are free from halogens.
- The XLPE Insulated Cables do not decompose over time.
Chapter 3: What are the properties of XLPE Cables?
The properties of cross-linked Polyethylene insulated cables- XLPE Insulated Cables are as under;
- The XLPE Insulated Cables have an incredible resistance towards high temperature, which is why they are known as high voltage cables- HV cables.
- The XLPE Cables are known for their resistance towards high pressure and stress
- The XLPE Cable has another name of Low Voltage Cable- LV cable because it is unaffected by low temperature.
- The XLPE Insulated Cables can withstand wear and tear. No scratch.
- The XLPE Insulated Cables are high fire resistance and are good with chemicals that unaffected by it.
- The XLPE cables can withstand moisture and water.
- The XLPE Cables of our company is an all-rounder.
Chapter 4: What are the standards that are in use for 33kv XLPE cables?
The following is the list of the standard that implies our company’s cables for a high quality of performance and user satisfaction.
|1. IS number 5831
|Standard to determine the insulation of Poly Vinyl Chloride- PVC material and for sheathing material.
|2. IS number 3961
|Standard to determine the rating of the current in Poly Vinyl Chloride- PVC insulation for robust cables.
|3. IS number 8130
|Standards to denote the flexibility of the cable and the conductor material to be in use.
|4. IS number 1885
|These are the International standards that comply with electrical cables.
|5. IS number 3975
|Standards for the armouring of the cables, the tape that covers the conducting material mostly steel material.
|6. IS number 7098
|The standards and checklist to specify the workability of 33 kV XLPE Insulated Cables having Poly Vinyl Chloride- PVC as an insulating material.
|7. IS number 10418
|The standards for electrical cables
|8. IS number 10810:1984
|Standardize tests for testing cables.
|9. S standard
|10. IEC standard
Chapter 5: What is the construction process of XLPE Insulated cables?
When it comes to constructing the XLPE Insulated cables, there is a presence of several layers. Each layer is unique for different purposes.
- Circular stranded conductor
- It consists of a conducting material for the transmission of electric energy. The circular shape of the conducting material promotes minimal loss of energy or electrical power.
- The conductor is strong enough to operate under normal conditions and can withstand the external stresses.
- Copper is the most in use material for conduction which comes under the standard of EC 60228. Nevertheless, according to the standard of IS number 8130 aluminium material is in use as well.
- Copper is the most use of conducting material because of its tensile strength. It has a tensile strength of 200–250 N/ mm2.
- Copper is highly resistant towards tears and cuts and oxidation. Meaning copper does not corrode when exposing to outside or water.
- Copper has a low thermal expansion; that is, it will not swell in high temperature and high conductivity.
- Aluminium, in comparison, has a lesser tensile strength of 100 N/mm2.
- However, aluminium is highly resistant to corrosion and has a higher thermal expansion as to copper.
- The surface of conduction is to be smooth for safe travel of current. When rough, any slight pressure will damage the cable.
- Semiconductor XLPE screen
- The semiconductor is to act as a connecting bridge between the conductor and the insulating material.
- The conducting material consists of a layer of protection, having a name as screening. The screening has a location in between the primary conducting element and the main insulating material.
- This screening material is to ensure higher protection for the loss of current.
- For 33KV XLPE Insulated Cables, a 1.0 mm of thickness is in use for screening.
- XLPE insulation
- The insulation job is to withstand the changing voltage filed and stress on the cable.
- An 8.8 mm of a thickness of XLPE insulation is for 33KV Cable.
- The insulation makes sure for zero or minimal loss of electric power during conduction. Output and input are should ideally be the same.
- A cable is in preference whose insulation is most active.
- Semiconducting tape screen
- Protective insulating tape is present to face no resistance or hurdles during the transmission of electricity, which occurs because of the electromagnetic radiation.
- In 33Kv XLPE Cable, the insulating tape is a combination of a non-metallic part and a metallic part.
- The non-metallic part is a little in extrusion, and the metallic element is made up of 0.06 mm of a thickness of annealed copper.
- This thick tape will give maximum protection.
- In a single-core cable, the non-metallic part will serve as the metallic part.
- Copper tape screen
- For an additional layer of protection, a tape of copper is in covering
- Copper is famous for its excellent conduction of electrical power.
- Copper has many beneficial properties which a person cannot seem to ignore and resist
- The copper tape screen will guarantee the protection of the cable
- The copper material will have minimal to zero loss of power traveling from one point to another.
- Other than copper tape, the screening material can be of different materials. It can be a combination of copper and lead, or a combination of aluminum and copper or lead alloy.
- PVC filler
- Extruded PVC sheath
- For 33 KV XLPE cable, an outer extruded sheath of PVC- Poly Vinyl Chloride is in covering.
- Galvanised steel wire armour
- For additional protection, an armour layer is in connection with the cable.
- For 33 kV of XLPE Insulated Cable, a Single layer of galvanized steel wires armour is present.
- This protection is available for three core cable
- The galvanised steel armour gives additional security by adding resistance to tension to the cable.
- Extruded PVC over-sheath
- For 33 KV XLPE cable, an outer extruded sheath of PVC- Poly Vinyl Chloride is in covering.
- It follows the standard of IS number 5831
- It is colorful for recognition.
- This extruded sheath of PVC- Poly Vinyl Chloride provides additional protection.
- PVC- Poly Vinyl Chloride gives the cables its desirable flexibility.
- The outer most sheath increases the strength and durability if the cable.
- It is resistant to all types of dangers/ hazards.
- For single or one core cable, aluminium material is in use in a round hard form to safely direct the current. It gives it adequate protection in terms of mechanical stress.
- In single-core cable, the aluminium armour is in a curled position to give maximum protection to the central conducting wire. It provides maximum support to the flow of current.
The medium voltage cables consist of three core cables. The additional material which the cable consists of in its construction is as follows.
- Bedding material
- Separator tapes, to have a gap of separation between the three single-core cables so as not to stick together.
- The conductive tapes is a binding material to tie and bind the three single-core cables together.
- Water swell-able tapes are a material to provide resistance and a barrier for moisture and water.
- Armouring, to give support against mechanical stresses.
Chapter 6: Is there any identification for our company’s cables?
Yes, our company’s cables are identifiable because there is an engraving on our cables for demarcation. The embossed identification includes,
- The name of our company
- The grade of Voltage, 33 kV cables.
- The year it was manufactured.
- The length of the cable will be in writing at every one interval of a meter.
- The number of cores present in it
- The type of conductor being in use.
- Other materials in use.
- The name of the purchaser.
- The type of insulation being in use in the cable; XLPE Cross-Linked Poly Ethylene Cables
Chapter 7: what are cable drums?
- The cables we provide are not only efficient and excellent in their job, but we aim to make our costumers’ work as easy as much as possible.
- We do not simply hand over our cables, but we serve in a packaging convenient for the buyer to use.
- The cables, mostly medium voltage cables or MV Cables are the wind in a wooden drum.
- The wooden drum is easy to roll and move
- The wooden drum keeps the cables safe.
- The wooden drum is mostly of timber material.
- The size of the drum varies with the length of the cable in order.
- Make sure to select the correct width (W) and diameter (D1 and D2) of the drum to ensure maximum safety and protection of the cable.
Chapter 8: How to handle the cable drum of 33kv XLPE cables?
- Keep in mind to give special care and attention to the cable drums.
- Take care of its movement, lifting, and unloading.
- Do not lie down the drum on the ground it should stand against one another
- Follow the arrow on the drum for positioning in order to avoid unnecessary rolling of the cables.
- To lift the drum with wires, it should be in a parallel position to avoid pressure.
- A forklift truck is in use to lift the drum with a machine. The cable drum should in movement with care and not directly or suddenly dropped.
Chapter 9: Is there any test to test the cables?
Our company focuses on quality. Moreover, to achieve the maximum quality, we focus on the following three tests. The test complies with IEC standards and British standards.
- Routine test
- Sampling test
- Type test
- Routine test:
- Routine test by its name is a simple test on the entire length of the cable.
- The test is in use to measure the resistance capability of the conductor.
- The test is responsible for the calculation of partial discharge.
- The routine test is to check the voltage between the conductor and the screening material.
- The routine test is responsible also for checking the direct current on the sheathing material.
- Sample test:
- Sample tests can be catastrophic.
- The sample tests are on the length of the cable and the drum carrying the cable.
- The sample test checks the conductor application.
- It is responsible for the checking of dimensions.
- A sample test is to check the voltage workability for four good hours
- XLPE insulation is also a task in sample tests.
- Type test
- The type test is one that supports the design of the cable.
- The type test is responsible for the selection and justification of the material in use.
- The carrying of the type test is before supplying it to the customer.
- The test is in the further division of two categories one for electrical and other for non-electrical.
- In type testing a test of partial discharge is essential
- The cable is further in a test for bending.
- The resistance towards heat and temperature is also in the test.
- A test to withstand impulses
- Moreover, a test to check the carrying of voltage for the long term.
- In non-electrical tests, the dimension is in check.
- The mechanical properties are in the test to check the tensile strength and ductility.
- The properties of thermoplastic are also in check, to see the ability to withstand pressure and the workability in low temperatures.
Chapter 10: What are the cores of an XLPE power cable?
- The power cable is in use for electrical applications. There are two or more conductors wrapped in an overall-sheath.
- It is famous for the transmission of electricity in high quantities with minimal loss.
- Power cables variation depends on the number of cores present in it. For instance, XLPE power cables consist of a single core XLPE power cable, three core XLPE power cable, and four core XLPE power cable.
- The selection of the core depends on the nature of your work.
1. Single-core XLPE power cable:
- Single-core XLPE cables operate on low voltage cables.
- Single-core cables transmit electrical power having resistance to mechanical and tensile stress.
- Such cables are halogen-free containing no toxic gasses.
- Single-core XLPE cables are resistant to damage or wear and tear.
- Single-core XLPE cable is resistant to fire.
- The weight of the cable may range from 770 Kg/ Km to 7085 Kg/ Km
- The Diameter of the cable ranges from 19.0 mm to 48.8mm.
- The width of the armour ranges from 1.25 mm to 2.0 mm.
- The size of the core ranges from 50 mm² to 630 mm²
2. Three core XLPE power cable:
- Three core XLPE cables are low to medium voltage cables.
- Three core cables are high in insulating property, extremely resistant to water, heat, and dust.
- Such cables are ideal for outdoor applications.
- These are moisture-resistant as well as fire-resistant
- Three core cables comprise of steel protection for mechanical, external forces resistance.
- These cables are free from halogen, making it environment-friendly.
- The weight of the cable may range from 300 Kg/ Km to 14400 Kg/ Km.
- The diameter of the cable ranges from 12 mm to 55 mm.
- The cross-sectional area ranges from 1.5 mm² to 400 mm².
- The width of the armour ranges from 0.9 mm to 2.5 mm.
3. Four core XLPE power cable:
- For high performance, four core XLPE power cables are in use.
- The four core XLPE cables are best for the supply of electricity.
- The four core XLPE cables are high in insulation.
- The four cores XLPE are best for outdoor applications.
- The four cores XLPE are highly resistant to fire and humidity.
- It consists of armour protection of galvanized steel, which increases its mechanical pressure and stress resistance efficiency.
- These cables consist of no halogen.
- These cables are in use for underground.
- The weight of the cable may range from 380 Kg/ Km to 15130 Kg/ Km.
- The area of conductor ranges from 1.5 mm² to 400 mm²
- The diameter of the wire ranges from 13.5 mm to 68.0 mm.
- The width of the armour ranges from 0.9mm to 3.15mm.
Chapter 11: Are 33 kV XLPE cables cost-effective?
33 kV XLPE cables are easy to install. It has low maintenance; it is flexible enough and durable enough to resist the adverse effects of nature.
When it comes to price, it cost ten times lesser than copper cable. The main factors for it are high purchase in its price.
33 kV XLPE cables are friendly on the pocket. It is always intelligent to pay once for installation than to pay time and again for maintenance.
Chapter 12: Where can you find XLPE cables?
Look nowhere, but here!
Our company manufactures XLPE Cables and 33 kV XLPE Cable in a variety of voltages; low voltage- LV, medium voltage- MV and high voltage- HV.
Our company manufactures cables with high precision and assurance.
Do not a thing and contact us right away to place your order for high-performance cables you will not regret.
Before placing the order, know the region where you want to use/ install it and the function you wish for it to use. You will not be disappointed with our service.
Chapter 13: Conclusion
XLPE is an abbreviation of Cross-linked Polyethylene Cables. Such cables are high in the market these days, because of its properties and price.
These cables have excellent resistance towards heat, nature, moisture, and stress. The cross-linkage of the long chain of polymers has increased and modified its chemical and physical properties.
To have a cable that will require less maintenance and easy installation with high performance, 33 kV XLPE cable is a perfect choice.