AWA Cable Ultimate Guide
Chapter 1: Introduction
SSG is the leading manufacturer and supplier of aluminum wire armoured cable. We also offer other cable solutions to our prestigious customers.
We offer a comprehensive range of cables manufactured in accordance with British international standards and specifications. We have over decades in the manufacture and distribution of all cable solutions in China.
Our cables have been recognized by customers from all over the world. We have clients from the Middle East, Europe, USA, China, among other nations.
Our AWA cables are available in both copper and aluminum conductors as required by customers. The phenomenal growth over the years has enabled us to achieve a formidable status as the largest cable manufacturer in China.
Our extensive commitment to customer satisfaction has enabled us to gain local and international recognition certifications. Our mission is to manufacture cables to supply electricity, information, and communication.
We work with the best cable manufacturers to make sure our cable systems are reliable and of the highest quality. The experience we gain from the manufacture, supply, and installation of cables allows us to create a comprehensive offer corresponding to our customer demands.
We have the best engineers well equipped with skills on how to manufacture, test and install AWA cable. We ensure total quality control and exhaustive inspection at all stages of cable manufacture.
Our cables have the best properties required by international cable standards. Our cables are durable and have a long shelf life. We manufacture AWA cable using the best-selected ingredients for quality maintenance.
We have customer services available 24/7 for any questions you might have. Our delivery services are incredible. Once you make an order it takes 2 to 3 working days to process and deliver the package to you.
We also repair and fix broken, old or non-functioning AWA cables. In case you need AWA cable kindly let us know.
Welcome to SSG and get to explore more on cables and cable solutions at a cost-saving price.
We have maintained a constant upgrading system for our AWA Cable and all other cables. For more details, you can go through our AWA full guide. We have a suggestion box at the end where you can email us or make an order.
What is AWA Cable?
AWA simply means aluminum wire armoured cable. AWA cable is a hard-wearing power cable used in supplying the mains. The amour is used to provide mechanical protection which allows the cable to withstand higher.
The amour also allows the cable to withstand higher mechanical stress.
AWA is used in single-core cable because it is non-magnetic. Aluminum is non-magnetic. A magnetic field is produced by the current in a single core cable.
The magnetic field produced will induce an electric current if a steel amour was used. This electric current can cause overheating to the AC systems. AWA cables prevent the overheating as aluminum non-magnetic.
AWA cables are most preferred as they do not cause overheating to AC systems. The AWA cable is made up of the following;
|An aluminum conductor
|An aluminum wire amour
|Insulation, metallic and conductor screens
The AWA cable can be buried directly to the ground. It is used in internal and external projects.
It can be applied in low voltage, medium voltage, and high voltage. For short circuit restraint and support single-core, the cable should be installed using trefoil cable cleats.
We have cable glands, joints and crimp lungs available to install all types of low voltage AWA cables. The cable has a voltage of 0.6/1kV with an XLPE insulation. It is available in two core colors that are brown and blue.
AWA cable is designed to be used in an installation where smoke and acid gas emission would pose a major hazard in the event of fire. The cable is flame retardant.
In general, AWA cable is used for power and auxiliary control applications. We recommend them to be used in industrial areas, in and around buildings. Other hazardous environments and chemically reactive environments can also use AWA cable.
AWA cable is designed to be installed in air, clipped to surface, embedded in the concrete or buried direct to the ground.
The sheath of the AWA cable is Black in Color. The cable operates at a temperature range of -25˚C to +90˚C
Chapter 2: Where is AWA Cable used?
AWA cable has found broad applications among them including;
- Power networks- The AWA cable provides an electrical grind or power grind under which the network is interconnected to deliver electricity to consumers from producers.
- Underground supply of power- The cable is used in the supply of power under the ground either for mining purposes or excavation. The cable does not react with chemical compounds found in the soil. The cable can survive in any soil condition be it wet or dry or rocky.
- Outdoor and indoor applications- For all indoor applications and outdoor applications you can use AWA cable. The cable does not overheat. Indoor applications like cooking, ironing, lighting, etc. outdoor applications like fencing and earthing.
- Cable ducting- AWA able to provide a rigid metal known as duct through which insulated electric conductors are run. This is mainly for conductors carrying large currents for underground installations and concrete pipes.
For all these applications and many others which involve alternating current and voltage use AWA cable. You can call us for guidance on which cable to use in your project.
Chapter 3: What are the properties of AWA Cable?
We manufacture high-quality AWA cables with the best properties. The manufacturing process is followed by testing of the cable to ensure they have the required properties.
Our AWA cables display the following properties which are essential in selecting the cable;
- Low ground resistance and impedance– An AWA cable should be in an attempt to maximize the surface area of electrodes of the conductor with the surrounding soil. This helps to lower the earth’s resistance of the cable and also improves the impedance of the grounding system under lighting surge conditions.
- Equipotential bonding– This helps to ensure that hazardous potential differences do not occur between different incoming conductors. This cable property is essential for ensuring conductors such as metallic water services, power systems do not overheat.
- Good corrosion resistance– The AWA cable should be corrosion resistant. It should also be compatible with other conductors buried on the ground system. Our cable is made of copper conductor. The amour is made of aluminum which is non-magnetic. Maintenance and inspection of the cable should be done frequently.
- Electrically and mechanically robust and reliable– Mechanical coupling should be done to join conductors that suffer from corrosion effect when dissimilar metals are used. A good AWA cable should resist electrical and mechanically robust. At SSG, we provide excellent low impedance, long life AWA cables with excellent corrosion resistance.
- Good electrical conductor– AWA cables should be in a position to conduct electricity. The conductor is made of copper which has good conductivity and it’s durable.
- It should be in a position to withstand high fault currents– The cable is made of aluminum which can regulate the current since it’s a non-magnetic material.
- Long-life– the cable should at least have over 40 years of performance without any complications. Our cables have achieved this property and gained certifications in long-life cable reliance. A long-life cable also saves you the costs involved in the repair, maintenance, etc. It is cost-saving purchasing a long life cable.
Chapter 4: Which are the common types of AWA cable glands?
We have a wide range of cable glands suitable for AWA cables from leading brands in China and overseas. Cable glands are devices we design to attach and secure the end of AWA cable to the equipment.
Our full range of cable glands is suitable for AWA cable and all other cable solutions we offer. We have a full range of accessories including lock-nuts, shrouds thread washers, etc.
Every cable type has its own gland and for the AWA cable we have the following glands available with us;
|CW Aluminum Gland- This is an aluminum indoor and outdoor armoured gland. It is suitable for all AWA single-core cables. This type of gland provides an IP66 environmental seal on the AWA cable outer sheath.
|LSF Weatherproof cable gland- This type of gland is used with all low smoke and fume sheathed AWA CABLES. It provides zero halogen IP66 environmental seals on the cable inner and outer sheaths. I have a three-part armor termination.
|Aluminum CW CIEL Gland- This gland is an aluminum CW gland kit with cast integral earth lug. It is suitable for use with all AWA armored cables. It provides an environmental seal on the AWA cable outer sheath.
|E1W Aluminum gland- This is an aluminum IP66 weatherproof type of cable gland kit. It is meant to be used with all AWA cables. It provides an environmental seal on both the inner and outer sheath of the AWA cable.
|A348W Zen Gland- This is an insulated type of gland. It is suitable to be used for indoor and outdoor installations. The A348W Zen gland provides an IP6 seal on the outer sheath for all AWA armored cables. This grinding method insulates the gland and cable armor from the enclosure of the equipment.
|A324W Zen Gland- This is also an insulated type of AWA cable gland. The A324W version of the aluminum Zen glands features a heavy-duty cast integral earth lug. This CIEL permits the zoning of earth connections for the earthen neutral parts.
Chapter 5: What are the advantages of using AWA cable?
The AWA cable has a wide range of advantages. First, it is made of aluminum which is a non- magnetic material hence prevents overheating. This AWA cable is more advantageous than SWA cable. This is because steel is magnetic hence the issue of overheating cannot be prevented.
The following are some of the advantages of using AWA cable from SSG Company;
- UV resistant– Our AWA cable is ultraviolet resistance. It is not affected once exposed to direct sunlight. Cables that are not UV resistant tend to be affected when they are left on the bare sun. Our AWA cable is UV resistant and can be used above ground in the open air for a long period of time. The outer sheath of the cable is not harmed by the ultraviolet light. This UV normally dries out a cable and causes cracks and bursts in the sheath. This advantage tends to preserve the functionality of the AWA cable.
- Flame retardant– Our AWA cable is flame retardant. It does not spread or catch fire easily. This is very essential as the cable will last longer without the effect of busting or malfunctioning. It is normally preferred in buildings and at locations where people live, work or travel. It is very safe.
- Aluminum wire armor– The armor is made of aluminum which is a non-magnetic material. The armouring of aluminum wires protects this AWA cable from physical elements. The aluminum ensures that the AWA single core will be lighter in weight compared to the steel armour. This cable is very easy to install at a cost-saving price.
- Safe and secure– AWA cables are safe and secure to use. We have a regulator available in the insulator for controlling the current. We also provide safety precautions for handling to avoid the issues of shock.
- Reliable and efficient– Our AWA cable is reliable and efficient to use. You can order any quantity of the cable and we will deliver.
- They are also very easy to implement in the circuit.
Chapter 6: How to select AWA cable?
The following are some of the considerations in selecting AWA cables;
- The conductor size- the conductor size of AWA cable must be sufficient to keep losses sufficiently low. The diameter of the conductor affects the strength of the electric field. This means a solid conductor will have less dielectric stress than a stranded conductor. If you increase the number of strands it will reduce losses if the current is of high frequency.
- The insulation material– the insulation around the conductor might be slightly conductive. This is done to reduce electric stress by creating a larger diameter of the conducting surface. There are many insulating types available with us and their selection depends on factors such as flexibility, frequency, price, and AC or DC voltage. At higher voltages there here might be a combination of layers of the insulation to manage the stress.
- Bending– The cable should be made of PVC insulation which can bend easily and provide a protective boundary between inner and outer layers of the AWA cable.
- Armour– The armour should be made of aluminum which provides mechanical protection. With this mechanical protection the cable can withstand higher stress, be buried to the ground. The armoring is normally connected to the earth and can sometimes be used as the circuit protective conductor for the equipment supplied by the cable.
- Shielding– Aluminum creates a field around the conductor that is influenced by the cable insulation and everything that is in proximity to it. If shielding is used then the field is contained between the conductor and the shield. You can calculate this using the dielectric constant and the thickness of the cable insulation.
- Also, use insulation with a low dielectric constant.
- The current requirement of the load
- The voltage drop and the current-carrying capacity
- The ambient conditions- hot condition or poor ventilation may decrease the capacity of the cable, so you need a bigger cable for the same current.
- The ability of a cable to withstand temperature rise in case of a short circuit. If the cable is too small it will catch fire before the circuit breaker operates. A high voltage cable should have a metallic screening to prevent radiated electromagnet field.
- Sheath– The sheath should be black in color. It is used to hold the components of the cable together and provide additional protection from external stress.
Chapter 7: How is the AWA cable constructed?
We manufacture AWA cable by combining different components including;
- Conductor- the conductor is made of aluminum or copper.
- Insulation- The insulation is made of cross-linked polyethylene or the XLPE. The purpose of the insulation is to provide high-temperature resistance and excellent dielectric strength. This enhances the electrical properties of the cable.
- Bedding- The bedding is made of a layer of rubber to create a protective barrier between the insulation and the armour.
- Armour- The armour is made of aluminum which provides mechanical protection to the cable. This then allows the cable to withstand the mechanical stress to which it is exposed. The armour provides additional protection where mechanical stress has the potential to cause damage to the cable. The armour also enables the cable to withstand higher pulling loads. The construction of various armoured cable differs according to their intended application. At SSG, we offer a comprehensive range of armoured cables.
- Sheath- the function of the sheath is to hold the constituent parts of the AWA cable together. The sheath offers a further level of protection like the armour. Black sheaths can be carbon-loaded for UV stability.
- Voltage- The cable should have a voltage rating range of 600/1000V, 6.35/11kVand 19/33kV.
All these components make AWA cable. We use high-grade components in the manufacture of AWA cables.
Chapter 8: What is the difference between AWA and SWA cable?
AWA cable is made of aluminum armour while SWA is made of steel armour.
AWA cable is used in single-core cables while SWA is used in multiple core cables.
AWA cable is nonmagnetic since aluminum is magnetic, the steel in SWA cable makes it magnetic.
AWA cables do not overheat while there is overheating in SWA cables due to the presence of steel which is a magnetic material.
Chapter 9: Why work with SSG?
You might ask yourself why you should choose cables from us, and not from somewhere else.
At SSG, you can get the perfect earth Cable of your desired specification. We offer various types of Cable solutions.
Contact us today or give us a call. Our delivery services are incredible. Our expert team will help you identify which Cable is perfect for your next job
First of all, we have been producing cables for over 30 years now so we have enough experience in that.
Second of all, we combine this local knowledge with the strength of being a global market leader.
This means we have the muscles to innovate and customize our solutions to perfectly match your needs.
In addition, we co-operate with universities, scientific institutions and, perhaps most importantly with you.
Your satisfaction is our livelihood.
Based on your needs and your feedback we constantly improve to make sure our offer fits the bill. No matter what kind of cable you need, we have it, and if not, we will invent it.
That is why doing business with us pays off!
Chapter 10: AWA cable at SSG Cable Inc. R&D Co., Ltd
Our research and development team is working on a cable system that can work both as AWA cable and SWA cable. We plan on maintaining market dominance through strengthening core competencies. Our research competencies include the provision of optical AWA cables for indoor use.
We aim at securing future growth engines through a series of continuous integration of AWA cables. R&D on technical information is also an affirmative action that needs to be attended to.
You might be interested in these XLPE insulated cables:
Low Voltage Power Cable
Medium Voltage VFD Cable
Medium Voltage Power Cable