GGC mining cablesBuying Guide
CHAPTER 1: WHAT ARE MINING POWER CABLES?
GGC mining cables are useful in activities related to mining. The mining environment is exceptionally harsh and requires cables that can withstand rough conditions.
For such conditions, the design of GGC mining cables is carried out, so they can give the much needed heavy-duty performance.
The GGC mining cables can withstand the most severe and extreme requirements of the mining applications. Mining cable manufacturers provide GGC performance cables with the highest standards.
Mining power cables offer excellent reliability and durability. The durability of the GGC mining cables is due to the two-layered thermoset jacket insulation.
The thermoset jacket insulation provides much-needed protection to the mining power cables from all hazards such as heat, oil, acids, alkalis, and other chemicals.
Mining power cables posses stranding that maximizes their flex life. The jackets of mining power cables also possess excellent impact resistance.
The design of GGC mining cables is according to the requirements and standards of MSHA and Canadian standard association.
Mining cable manufacturers provide exceptional expertise and knowledge in mining power cable technologies to construct cables that possess a high life cycle dependency.
Technological advancements have enabled the mining cable manufacturers to provide:
- More solid materials.
- Better design and constructions.
- Exceptional performance.
- Cables that are of lower cost yet durable.
Mining power cable manufacturers can provide you with the best performance cables and best solutions for any specific environment and any mining application.
CHAPTER 2: WHAT IS THE STRUCTURE OF THE MINING POWER CABLES?
The construction of mining power cables depends upon its types. However, the general structure consists of the following:
- Shielded conductor.
- Ground wires.
- Grounds check wire.
- Overall jacket.
CHAPTER 2.1: CONDUCTOR:
There are two main types of conductor materials in use. These include Copper and Aluminum. Copper and aluminum are the two common conductor materials useful in mining applications.
Copper has a higher conductivity than aluminum. Thus it carries more current than aluminum at the same size and diameter.
The conductors for mining power cables are bare annealed or tinned copper wires.
Annealing is the process in which there are heating and cooling of the conductor. This heating and gradual cooling make the conductors less brittle and malleable.
For holding the conductor elements together, stranded copper wires with EPR insulation and nylon braid, the elastomeric jacket is useful.
This construction procedure is useful in reducing the snaking and cork-screwing during the reeling and de-reeling of GGC mining cables.
CHAPTER 2.2: INSULATION:
Two types of insulation materials are commonly useful for mining power cables: Thermosetting (EPR, XLPE) or Thermoplastic (PVC).
The construction of the mining power cables is different from the creation of regular cables. For cables under 22Kv, thermosetting (EPR, XLPE) insulation is put to use.
For higher voltage cables, paper insulation is more useful.
The insulation of mining power cables is exceptionally weather-resistant, UV resistant, and abrasion-resistant. Furthermore, the insulation also possesses resistance to saltwater, acids, and alkaline solutions.
CHAPTER 3: WHAT ARE THE SPECIFICATIONS OF MINING POWER CABLES?
The specifications of the mining power cables include:
- Mining cables have a maximum operating voltage of 5 kV to 25 kV.
- Maximum conductor operation temperatures of the mining cables in Wet and dry locations is 90 °C under normal conditions and 130 °C during emergencies
- Short Circuit capacity of mining cables is 250 °C. After this temperature, a short circuit may happen.
- Conductors in mining cables are of Soft or annealed uncoated copper.
- Conductor Shield in mining power cables is made up of Semiconducting cross-linked polyethylene (XLPE)
- Insulation is of Thermoset ethylene-propylene rubber (EPR) in mining power cables.
- Insulation Shield of mining power cables is of Semiconducting cross-linked polyethylene (XLPE).
- Metallic Shield is of Soft annealed copper tape that has 2.5 mil minimum thicknesses, 10% minimum overlap.
- Phase ID of mining power cables is Color printed on the extruded conducting layer, Black, white, and red.
- Thermosetting insulation is yellow for identification.
- The assembly of mining power cables consists of phase conductors that are cabled up with the ground check between the black and white phase conductors.
- The mining power cables consist of two grounding conductors that lie in close contact with the shields.
- The Jacket in mining cables is Black, sunlight resistant, and flame retardant.
- The jacket is made up of chlorinated polyethylene (CPE) compound.
CHAPTER 4: WHAT ARE THE GENERAL APPLICATIONS OF MINING POWER CABLES?
CHAPTER 4.1: UNDERGROUND APPLICATIONS:
The underground applications of mining power cables include:
- Longwall Shearers.
- X Shuttle Cars.
- Bridge Conveyors.
- High-Voltage Feeders.
- Cutting Machines.
- Loading Machines.
- Continuous Miners.
- Roof Bolters.
- Hydraulic Pumps.
- Sectionalized Portable Power.
- Borehole Cables.
- Accessory Equipment.
- Two-Conductor Welding.
- Belt Drives.
- Hydraulic Power Packs.
- Belt Take-Ups.
- Power Tools.
- Battery Changers.
CHAPTER 4.2: SURFACE MINING APPLICATIONS:
Surface applications are:
- Power Shovels.
- Drag Lines.
- Pumps Power Tools.
- Accessory Equipment.
CHAPTER 5: WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF MINING POWER CABLES?
Many different types of mining power cables are available. Ratings and conductors may be up to 25 kV and five conductors. Classes include:
|Type GGC Mining cables.
|Type G mining Cables.
|Type W mining power cables. (No ground)
|Type SHD-GC mining cables.
|Type MP-GC mining power cables.
|Type SC mining power cables. (stage cable)
CHAPTER 6: WHAT IS TYPE 1: GCC MINING CABLE:
CHAPTER 6.1: WHAT IS THE MEANING OF G-GC?
The term GG-C in GGC mining cables stands for:
G-GC – Ground, Ground-Check
GGC mining cables are put to use on ground and ground checks. The term GGC is used both in the mining industry and in the cables industry.
The ground check wire in GGC mining cables is for checking the grounding circuit. In mining applications, when a good check wire is required, GCC mining cables are useful.
GGC mining cables perform light to medium duty in the mining power cable industry.
CHAPTER 6.2: HOW ARE THE TYPE GGC CABLES CONSTRUCTED?
The materials used in the construction of GGC mining cables are extremely tough and sturdy. The toughness is because of the exposure mining power cables to very harsh conditions.
Mining areas are liable to get affected by acids, chemicals, crushed rocks, etc. These external forces can cause severe damage to regular cables. For this purpose, the construction of GGC mining cables is carried out.
The main parts of the type GCC mining cables consist of the conductor, ground conductors, an insulator, and a cable jacket. Here are the properties you should consider before buying the Type GGC mining Cables:
CHAPTER 6.3: CONDUCTOR IN GGC MINING CABLES:
The function of the conductors is to transmit electric current in the cable. The conductor of the Type GCC mining cables is made up of annealed bare copper wire.
Copper is put to use because it has excellent electrical properties and is more durable than aluminum. Copper can transfer more electric currents through the small thickness.
The conductors in the GGC mining cables are stranded together in a rope structure. This stranding makes the GGC cables even more efficient.
More massive amounts of electric current pass through the cable because of stranding. Copper conductor is an eight gauge wire since it comes in 8AWG.
CHAPTER 6.4: INSULATION IN GGC MINING CABLES:
Insulation on the type GGC mining cables is made up of Ethylene Propylene (EPDM). Ethylene Propylene (EPDM) is resistant to oil, chemicals, alkalis, acids, etc.
The insulation protects the GCC mining cables and prevents the conductor from coming in direct contact with anyone, thereby avoiding electric shocks.
The insulation material also prevents any harm from reaching the conductor, which is why EPDM is a convenient choice of material.
Color coding is carried out for the insulation. Colors include black and white, which makes the insulation more visible.
CHAPTER 6.5: JACKET IN GGC MINING CABLES:
Chlorinated Polyethylene (CPE) is the material that is useful for constructing the outer jacket of GGC mining cables.
The jacket is very tough and protects the GGC mining cable from external forces. Another feature is that the coating is resistant to oils, chemicals, sunlight, flames, etc.
CHAPTER 6.6: WHAT ARE THE TYPES OF GGC MINING CABLES?
Mining cable manufacturers produce different types of GGC mining cables. The difference in types of GGC mining cables depend upon:
- Size of the GGC cables.
- The ampacity of the conductor.
- Structure of the GCC cables.
CHAPTER 7: WHAT IS TYPE 2: G MINING CABLE:
CHAPTER 7.1: WHAT IS TYPE G MINING CABLE?
Type G mining cable is that which is useful for portable power supply. In mining equipment where every conductor has a ground wire, type G mining cables is put to use.
The type G mining cables, which consist of four conductors, would have four ground wires. For every conductor, the mining cable manufacturers provide one ground wire.
Applications of the type G mining cables are numerous. The type G mining cables are useful for heavy-duty applications performing efficiently under heavy loads.
Type G mining cables are also useful In marine or underwater applications. These cables do not allow the penetration of water or other liquids.
Underground usage is another feature. These cables can be used for burial applications and can withstand extreme environmental conditions.
Type G mining cables, in any form, consist of four conductors running from 8 gauge to 500 MCM. Type G mining cables are rated to be useful for up to 200 volts between -40°C to +90°C.
CHAPTER 7.2: WHAT IS THE STRUCTURE OF TYPE G MINING CABLES?
The structure of type G mining cables is composed of:
Type G mining cables consist of stranded bare copper conductors, which allow extremely efficient transfer of electric current.
Insulation material in type G mining cables makes use of rubber filler with jute standard. Insulation provides a barrier between the wires and exterior forces.
The outer jacket of the Type G mining cables consists of a black polymer jacket braided in a tire cord.
CHAPTER 7.3: COLOR-CODING IN TYPE G MINING CABLES:
Color coding in type G mining cables depend upon the number of conductors used :
- For three conductors: Black, white, and red is useful.
- For four conductors: Black, white, orange, and red is useful.
CHAPTER 8: WHAT ARE THE FEATURES OF TYPE G AND GGC MINING CABLES?
Features of GGC mining cables include:
|Excellent abrasion resistance.
|Resistant to the harsh environment and external forces.
|They are rated to work in -40°C to 90°C Dry / 90°C Wet/ conditions.
|Excellent thermal stability.
|Excellent flexibility and easy to handle.
|GGC mining cables have maximum safety provisions for mining applications.
|Stranding of rope lay in GGC mining cables, which provides flexibility.
|GGC mining cables possess excellent toughness and flexibility of the cable core.
|Non-wicking rubber fillers.
|They possess printing with an indent for ease of identification.
CHAPTER 9: WHAT ARE THE VARIOUS APPLICATIONS OF TYPE G AND GGC MINING CABLES?
The different applications of GGC mining cables include:
- Light to medium mining in industries.
- Useful as power supply cable for Heavy-duty performance providing continuous conductor temperature of 90°C.
- Portable electrical equipment.
- Useful in a three-phase AC system, which requires grounding.
- G and GGC cables are useful in providing power to marine setups and shipyards.
- Use in mining equipment such as drills and shuttle cars.
- Useful for marine applications where resistance to oils, chemicals are required.
CHAPTER 10: WHAT ARE THE CERTIFICATIONS OF TYPE G AND TYPE GGC CABLES?
Certifications are a way of proofing that the wires are protected and completely safe to use. Type G and GGC mining cables consist of various approval certifications:
- Mine Safety & Health Administration (MSHA) Approved
- National Electric Code (NEC)
- RoHS compliant
- Canadian Standards Association
- CSA Flexible Cord Association.
- ICEA standards
- Pennsylvania Department Of Environmental Protection
CHAPTER 11: WHAT IS TYPE 3: W MINING POWER CABLE:
Type W mining cables are useful for heavy-duty performance. Type W acts as a power supply cable for different equipment such as Mining, electrical, magnet crane, etc.
Both the AC (Alternating current) and DC (Direct Current) mining equipment make use of Type W mining cables.
CHAPTER 11.1: TYPES OF TYPE W MINING CABLES:
CHAPTER 11.1 (1): BASED ON SHAPE:
Type W mining cables are available in two types:
- Flat mining cables.
- Round mining cables.
Flat mining cables have a non-shielded design provided in a flat configuration. Flat mining cables are useful in applications where there will be a high level of flexing and external forces.
Flat mining cables are useful in various applications as:
- Shuttle cars.
- Roof bolters.
- Loading machines.
Round mining cables are round but consist of a non-shielded design. The round mining cables are useful in equipment such as:
- Loading machines.
- Ac shuttle cars.
- Roof bolters
CHAPTER 11.1 (2): BASED ON VOLTAGE:
The types of W mining cable also depend upon the voltage configuration provided by the mining power cables manufacturers:
|2Kv W mining cables.
|5Kv W mining cables.
|8Kv W mining cables.
|15Kv W mining cables.
|35Kv W mining cables.
2kv W mining cables are braid shielded and are useful for applications as longwall shearers, continuous miners, drills, etc.
5kc W mining cables are helpful for new heavy-duty power cable applications. 5kv W mining cables are useful in draglines, power feeders, and shovels.
The construction of 15kv and 35kv w mining cables are also possible, which can be useful for various high-performance applications.
CHAPTER 12: WHAT IS TYPE 3: TYPE SHD-GC MINING CABLES:
Type SHD-GC mining cables are similar in characteristics to Type G mining cables and Type GGC mining cables. However, the difference is between the voltage ratings.
Type G and type GGC mining cables have a rating of 2kv whereas; the SHD-GC mining cables can reach up to 5KV, 8KV, and 15KV. The voltage depends upon the requirements of the application.
Another difference of type SHD-GC mining cables from type G mining cables and type GGC mining cables is due to the presence of a braided shield.
CHAPTER 12.1: WHAT IS THE STRUCTURE OF TYPE SHD-GC MINING CABLES?
The structure of Type SHD-GC mining cable consists of:
- Annealed copper conductor.
- Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer (EPDM) insulation.
- SHD-GC mining cables have Chlorinated Polyethylene (CPE) jacket.
- Copper braid annealed shield over the conductors.
CHAPTER 12.2: WHAT ARE THE APPLICATIONS OF SHD-GC MINING CABLES?
Type SHD-GC cable is useful for the provision of emergency or temporary power in the harshest working conditions where portable shielded cables are required.
CHAPTER 13: WHAT IS TYPE 4: TYPE MPGC MINING CABLES:
MPGC mining cables consist of tripe extrusion system. MPGC mining cables are made of raw materials to prevent contact with external forces.
The structure of MPGC mining cables also consists of:
- Copper Conductor
- XLPE insulator
- Outer sheath.
CHAPTER 13.1: WHAT ARE THE APPLICATIONS OF MPGC MINING CABLES?
Various applications of the MPGC mining cables include:
- Useful for permanent installations where high voltage distribution is required.
- Useful for underground mining applications.
- Useful for aerial, burial, and direct burial installations.
CHAPTER 14: WHAT IS TYPE 5: TYPE SC MINING CABLES:
SC mining cable is another type of mining cable which is useful in portable lighting systems, theatres, television, night clubs, spotlights, mobile communication vans, concert venues, and carnivals.
Type SC cables are also known as stage cables. Type SC cables have the following features:
- Excellent Flexibility.
- Abrasion resistance.
- Oil resistance.
- Ozone resistance.
- SC cables possess Resistance to oils, solvents, and chemicals.
CHAPTER 14.1: WHAT IS THE CONSTRUCTION OF TYPE SC MINING CABLES?
The structure of the type SC mining cable is similar to the other types. It consists of the following components:
- The conductor is made up of stranded bare copper.
- The conductor shield is made up of cross-linked polymer.
- Insulation is of Crossed link Polyethylene (133%).
- Insulation level is up to 133%.
- Insulation shield on top of the insulation is made up of strip able semiconducting cross-linked copolymer.
- On the top of the copper, a tape shield is there that is in helical wrapping around 5ml copper tape with a 25% overlap.
- The grounded conductor in SC mining cables consists of compressed stranded bare copper.
- Rubber fillers are for additional protection of SC mining cables.
- On top of the SC mining cables, the polyester tape is useful. The polyester tape increases the mechanical strength of the SC cables.
- Over the tape core, reinforcement tape is put on.
- The first jacket is black. It is a single layer coating that is flame resistant.
- The top jacket is made up of Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC).