XLPE Power Cable Article
Chapter 1: What is XLPE Power cable?
XLPE Power cable is an electric cable. It is different from standard cables.
XLPE stands for cross-linked polyethylene cable. XLPE has insulation covering of polyethylene, which is cross-linked. That’s why it is called as cross-linked polyethylene.
X stands for crosslinking
L stands for link
PE stands for polyethylene
The cross-linking of polyethylene makes our cable very tolerant of high temperatures. The insulation also makes it resistant to chemicals, oils.
The crosslinking of polyethylene makes this power cable resistant to high voltage. In this way, it can carry large amounts of current.
The effect of cross-linking is to inhibit the movement of molecules concerning each other under the influence of heat. This phenomenon gives improved stability at elevated temperatures. This stability is not observed in other thermoplastic materials.
Chapter 2: How XLPE Power cable constructed?
To make you understand our product, we will begin with initials. First, you need to know what is a power cable. Because power cable is not an ordinary wire. The power cable has different characteristics and applications.
Power cable: The essential features of these cables are as follows:
In a power cable, there is a conductor. Around a conductor, there is insulation.
Power cables are used to transmit electricity.
When we say power cable, we mean, it does mighty things. So a power cable carries high voltage. It takes a large number of electric currents. Power cables are for transmitting a large number of electric currents in lines having high voltage.
Power cable transmits current of several thousand amperes. The voltage it can handle is 220V to 500 VK.
XLPE Power cable:
XLPE is the name of a power cable. XLPE is the insulation of a power cable. We have modified a power cable by insulating it. The modification is straightforward yet very effective. We are explaining the change in insulation to make you understand it’s importance. Scientific insulation has many benefits, which you will realize.
Conductor: We use copper as a conductor in our XLPE Power cable. Copper is an excellent conductor.
Insulation: Here comes the exciting part. Insulation of XLPE Power cable is unique. You will find polyethylene insulation in standard power cables. Whereas in XLPE Power cable, there is a slight modification. In XLPE power cable, there is a crosslinking of polyethylene.
Polyethylene: Polyethylene is an ideal insulator. It is used for the insulation of power cables. Polyethylene has a high dielectric strength. It also has excellent insulation resistance. All these qualities make polyethylene an excellent insulator. Polyethylene alone can not tolerate high temperatures. For this purpose, we do crosslink of polyethylene. In this way, XLPE Power cable becomes resistant to high temperatures.
Crosslinking: In XLPE Power cable, there is a crosslinking of polyethylene polymers. The idea behind crosslinking is over unique. Through crosslinking, molecules are more tightly bound to each other. In this way, the insulation of a power cable becomes more robust. Due to crosslinking, the insulation is named as cross-linked polyethylene power cable (XLPE).
There are two methods of crosslinking polyethylene.
- Physical crosslinking
- Chemical crosslinking
- Physical crosslinking: In the process of physical crosslinking, we use physical methods. We subject polyethylene to the high energy electron source. In this case, the top energy electron source is our physical element for crosslinking. A senior energy electron source causes crosslinking between the polyethylene polymers.
Another high every source is microwave radiation. We use microwave radiation as a physical element for crosslinking. Microwave radiation causes crosslinking between polyethylene polymers. In this way, the insulation of XLPE Power cable is done by physical methods.
- Chemical crosslinking: Chemicals cause crosslinking between polyethylene polymers. The chemicals are also called as initiators. Chemicals we use are silane or peroxide. These chemicals lead to the formation of free radicals. The free radicals now formed will lead to crosslinking.
Cable means cross-linked polyethylene insulated armored conductor cable.
XLPE Power cable undergoes screening. This provides conductor a smooth surface. The smooth surface prevents the formation of cavities. Cavities can lead to leakage of fluids. The wire bends during installation. Bending can not happen appropriately if there are cavities.
After the screening, if the conductor is insulated. Insulation is XLPE.
Now screening of insulation takes place. It is further screened with non-metallic semiconducting material. A nonmagnetic metallic screen of copper or aluminum is applied. Then the core covering process occurs, which is explained onwards in our guide.
Chapter 3: What are the characteristics of XLPE Power cable?
We are pointing special characters of XLPE Power cable. You can get an overview of all it’s qualities.
Following are the characteristics of XLPE Power cable:
|XLPE Power cable has high electric strength
|XLPE Power cable has high mechanical strength
|XLPE Power cable has high aging resistance
|XLPE Power cable is resistant to corrosion
|XLPE Power cable resists chemical attack
|XLPE Power cable has a simple construction
|XLPE Power cable can work at high temperatures
|XLPE Power cable is both types of flame retardant and non-flame retardant
|The flame retardant XLPE Power cable has the following characteristics. They are low- smoke low-halogen. Little- smoke halogen-free. Non-smoker none halogenated.
|XLPE Power cable is resistant to wear and tear
|This type of insulation works at both high and know temperatures
|This insulation makes the power cable resistant to hazardous chemicals
|XLPE Power cable is resistant to high voltage
Chapter 4: What are the differences between XLPE and PVC insulation?
PVC is polyvinyl chloride. It is also isolation material. In other wires, PVC works for insulation, and it works perfectly. But still, there are some differences. Polyethylene insulation is more resistant to the environment. Especially the crosslinking makes polyethylene best to use.
Following are the differences between XLPE insulation and PVC insulation:
|1. Tension resistance
|2. Wear and tear resistance
|3. Last longing insulation
|4. Environment- friendly
|5. Moisture resistance
|6. Temperature resistance
|7. Tension resistance: XLPE insulation shows strength to both low and high tension. Whereas PVC shows strength only to low pressure.
|8. Wear and tear resistance: XLPE shows more resistance to abrasions and wear and tear.
|9. Pressure resistance: PVC can bear low pressure and low tension.
|10. Last longing insulation: XLPE insulation lasts longer than PVC insulation.
|11. Environmental friendly: XLPE is environment-friendly. The reason is XLPE insulation does not use chlorine and other halogens. As we know, halogens are highly reactive species. They tend to cause damage and produce hazardous conditions.
|12. Moisture resistance: XLPE insulation is more moisture resistant.
|13. Temperature resistance: XLPE insulation is resistant to high temperatures. This is a unique character of XLPE insulation. Due to crosslinking, this insulation becomes more vigorous. PVC can not withstand high temperatures.
Chapter 5: What are the features of XLPE Power cable?
XLPE Power cable has many features that make it unique. We add these features for better durability of our power cable. There are many types of insulation. But cross-linked polyethylene insulation is the best for use.
We recommend using XLPE Power cable. Inside the insulation is hidden all the fantastic features.
Following are the features of XLPE Power cable:
- Low smoke zero halogen
- Improved water tree insulation
- High tensile strength
- Additional carbon black
- Suitable voltage range
- Temperature resistance
- Large current carrying capacity
- Flame resistance
- UV light resistance
- Aging resistance
- Low smoke zero halogens: We did not use the halogens in the making of XLPE Power cable. Halogens are chlorine, fluorine, iodine, bromine, etc. Halogens are highly reactive substances. They produce free radicals. Thus are harmful.
Halogens produce hazardous substances. These substances pollute the environment. In XLPE power cable, we are not using halogens. Thus XLPE Power cable is environmentally friendly.
XLPE power cable is fire resistant.
If, in any case, it catches fire, you don’t need to worry. XLPE Power cable produces less smoke, even on burning. This feature makes XLPE Power cable environment-friendly.
- Improved water tree insulation: Water tree is a type of defect. XLPE Power cable shows resistance to this defect. Water tree resistance occurs due to faulty insulation. In a water tree, fracture lines happen in the electric field. These fracture lines increase with electrical stress.
- High tensile strength: An essential feature of XLPE Power cable is high tensile strength.
- Additional Carbon black: Adding carbon black in XLPE insulation enhances hot deformation and cut-through resistance. Even if you expose XLPE insulation to high temperatures, it will not melt. XLPE insulation is very resistant to high temperatures.
- Suitable voltage range: XLPE insulation ranges from low to high voltage. It can deal with any extreme energy. XLPE is a power cable. The function of a power cable is to carry a large amount of current against high voltage. XLPE insulation enhances this character of power cable. Other types of insulating materials can not withstand such high energies. PVC (Polyvinyl chloride) and EPR (Ethylene Propylene Rubber) are insulation materials. But they can not withstand high voltage.
- Temperature resistance: It is a very fundamental character of XLPE Power cable. The crosslinking we add between polyethylene makes the insulation more strong. XLPE Power cable can withstand high temperatures. If you are looking for highly resistant material, go for XLPE Power cable, especially if you are putting cables in a high-temperature environment. Pick a cable wisely according to the environment. In hot areas, this cable is perfect for use. Also, in machinery which gets hot, you should use our XLPE Power cable. By using XLPE Power cable, you don’t have to worry about any accident. It can save you from harm 90% of the time.
- Large current-carrying capacity: XLPE Power cable can carry thousands of amperes of current.
Even at high voltage, it can carry a large amount of current.
- Resistance: XLPE power cable shows resistance to oils, chemicals. It is also resistant to moisture. These features are because of crosslinking. XLPE insulation makes power cable tough.
- Flame resistance: XLPE Power cable is resistant to flame. It can not be burnt easily. The crosslinking makes it durable. As it can withstand high temperature. That is why it shows resistance to fire.
- UV light resistance: XLPE Power cable is resistant to ultraviolet light.
- SWA: SWA stands for steel wire armored. Three core cables, four-core cables, are shielded with steel. Multicore cables are also shielded with steel.
- AWA: AWA stands for aluminum wire armored. The single-core cable is armored with aluminum.
- Crosslinking: In XLPE Power cable, there is a crosslinking of polyethylene polymers. The idea behind crosslinking is unique. Through crosslinking, molecules are more tightly bound to each other. In this way, the insulation of a power cable becomes more vigorous. Due to crosslinking, the insulation is named as cross-linked polyethylene power cable (XLPE).
There are two methods of crosslinking polyethylene.
- Physical crosslinking
- Chemical crosslinking
- Physical crosslinking: In this process of crosslinking, we use physical methods. We subject polyethylene to the high energy electron source. In this case, the top energy electron source is our physical element for crosslinking. A senior energy electron source causes crosslinking between the polyethylene polymers.
Another high energy source is microwave radiation. We use microwave radiation as a physical element for crosslinking. Microwave radiation causes crosslinking between polyethylene polymers. In this way, the insulation of the XLPE Power cable is done by physical methods.
- Chemical crosslinking: Chemicals cause crosslinking between polyethylene polymers. The chemicals are known as initiators. Chemicals we use are silane or peroxide. These chemicals lead to the formation of free radicals. The free radicals now formed will lead to crosslinking.
14.Aging resistance: As humans age, the age of the non-living substance too. Aging means getting old and slowly going out of order. XLPE Power cable shows resistance to aging. The factors that lead to aging are chemicals, oil, elevated temperature, large current, high voltage. XLPE Power cable has polyethylene crosslinking. That’s how it becomes reluctant to all factors of deterioration
Chapter 6: What is the application of XLPE Power cable?
XLPE Power cable has a wide range of applications.
XLPE Power cable applications are in industries. Industries have a very harsh environment. There is continuous exposure to heat, chemicals, and stress, etc. XLPE Power cable has unique insulation. Industries have extreme temperatures where XLPE Power cable can work. High voltage appliances need a high power supply. Such needs can be met by XLPE Power cable.
XLPE Power cable use is in plumbing. Plumbing is a tough job. The machines are under high stress. The continuous vibration can harm the cables. It is safe to use XLPE Power cable. It is resistant to pressure, anxiety, and vibration.
XLPE Power cable has applications in mining. Mining needs heavy machinery, which can heat up quickly. You need cables which are resistant to pressure, stress and high temperature. XLPE Power cable is ideal for use.
XLPE Power cable can also work at residential and commercial heating systems. It can work in stadiums, medical institutions, etc.
XLPE Power cable works best at power stations.
It has applications almost everywhere in regions that are exposed to a high temperature — areas which are having high exposure to sunlight.
XLPE Power cable works where high emergency loads occur. It works where high short circuit currents are required.
XLPE Power cable works when high earth leakage currents transmit.
XLPE Power cable works where cables are in the form of a group. As a grouping of wires produce heat. This intense heat can cause a blast. Using XLPE Power cable can prevent this situation. XLPE Power cable has better thermal characters.
Chapter 7: What are the types of XLPE Power cable?
Following are the types of XLPE Power cable:
- XLPE/PVC Unshielded Low-Voltage Power Cable
- XLPE/PVC Unshielded Low-Voltage Power Cable Options
- XLPE/PVC Unshielded Low-Voltage Power Cable Application
- XLPE/PVC Unshielded Low-Voltage Power Cable Features
- XLPE/PVC Unshielded Low-Voltage Power Cable: the conductor is 14 AWG through 750 kcal bare, annealed copper per ASTM B3.
It has Class B stranding per ASTM B8.
Flame Retardant Cross-Linked Polyethylene (XLPE) is the insulating material of this cable.
Its color-codes are per ICEA Method 4; Individual conductors have a black color.
The conductor number is printed on the surface with a contrast color.
Uninsulated bare annealed copper per ASTM B3 is used for grounding.
It has Class B stranding per ASTM B8.
Flame retardant, moisture, and sunlight resistant Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) is the jacket of this cable.
2. XLPE/PVC Unshielded Low-Voltage Power Cable Options:
This cable contains a tinned copper conductor. The conductor has a Class C stranding. The color code of the cable is E-1 or E-2. Its use is of insulated ground conductor. It is multiconductor. This cable is over shielded. It has Flame Retardant Ethylene Propylene Rubber (EPR) insulation.
3. XLPE/PVC Unshielded Low-Voltage Power Cable Applications:
This type of cable works in both moist and dry environment.
It is permitted for use in Class I, Div 2 industrial hazardous locations per NEC. This cable is permitted for Exposed Run ‘ER’ use per NEC.
XLPE/PVC Unshielded Low-Voltage Power Cable Features:
It can bear a temperature of 90°. It can survive in both moist and dry environment. The thickness of its jacket is 6.
The electrical properties of this power cable are excellent. It is resistant to chemicals and abrasions. It is not affected by weather or UV light. We perform a cold bend test on this cable. It wins it at -25°C.
Chapter 8: What are the benefits of XLPE Power cable?
XLPE cable is made suitable for high voltage. It can work at a voltage as high as 132kV. XLPE Power cable can be used for long cable routes in high voltage transmission. In such cases, the dielectric losses play a significant role. XLPE Power cable is very light in weight. So it is easy to install. Its users conveniently handle it.
XLPE insulation is solid. There is a minimal chance of leakage of oils through insulation.
XLPE insulation is highly resistant to moisture. For jointing and installing, no particular precaution is required.
The joining of XLPE Power cable needs less time than that of any other conventional cable of similar grade.
These cables are safe to use in mining and by plumbers. XLPE Power cable can bear heavy vibration.
XLPE Power cable has better resistance to the salinity of water in the ground.
XLPE power cable is fire resistant. It is resistant to oils and chemicals.
These cables do not fail because they have a characteristic of aging.
XLPE power cable has a longer half-life.
Chapter 9: What are the precautions of the installation of XLPE Power cable?
The power cable is ventilated when many wires are placed on the same channel. We have performed special tests to check the flame retardant quality. The flame spreads in a limited range when the fire test flame is removed. The residual flame extinguishes by itself.
The following are the measures you should take while installing XLPE Power cable. Keeping the following tips in your mind will help to make sure you do not cause any harm to your property and yourself.
Before starting any electrical work, make sure the power is off.
Cover your eyes when dealing with Electricity. Sparks or debris might enter your eyes. Use soled shoes and gloves.
To test the wire voltage and its connections, use a voltage tester.
When you end your task, turn on the electricity to check everything is fine.
XLPE Power cable is environment-friendly. Take care while its installation not to harm surroundings. While lighting, keep the wire away from water. By following the precautions we have given, they won’t be any problem. Always call a professional electrician for the installation of XLPE Power cable.
You might be interested in these XLPE insulated cables:
Low Voltage Power Cable
Medium Voltage VFD Cable
Medium Voltage Power Cable